How Much Does a DUI Really Cost?
Many people only consider the short-term consequences of a DUI, which may include jail time and a hefty fine, but the truth is that the consequences of a DUI can follow a person for years. As a company that specializes in bail bonds for DUIs, we know better than most the true cost of a DUI in Michigan. Even a single, first time DUI can cost tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees and fines, and that is not including the hidden costs such as rehabilitation counseling, license reinstatement fees, jail fees and other expenses. If you want to know what to expect in terms of costs associated with a DUI arrest and conviction, keep reading.
The Immediate Consequences of a DUI
Unlike when you are pulled over for speeding or running a red light, if you are pulled over for suspicion of drunk driving, and if the breathalyzer test confirms the officer’s suspicions, you will be arrested and taken to the nearest police station or court house. Once there, an on-duty officer will take your fingerprints and mugshot, which he or she will then enter into the system. It is at that point that you officially have an arrest record.
If you utilize bail bond services that offer bail bonds 24/7, you may be fortunate enough to get out of jail the very night you are arrested. However, you will still have to appear in court for your hearing. If you’re found guilty, the judge will punish you with a fine, suspended driver’s license, some jail time, mandatory rehabilitation classes and possibly probation.
Unfortunately, the price of a DUI does not end there. An arrest and jail time can have both short- and long-term consequences on your career, as it may mean missed work, tarnished reputation and even job loss. Because of your arrest record, you may have a difficult time finding gainful employment in the future.
The Financial Consequences of a DUI
In addition to the immediate and intangible consequences, you may be aghast to learn the actual cost of a DUI over the next decade. On average, a single DWI in Michigan can cost you anywhere between $10,000 and $30,000, depending on the nature of the crime and any damages you caused. Below is a breakdown of how our bail bondsman came up with that number:
- Penalties, Fines and Fees = $1,100 to $3,800: As a first-time offender, expect to pay anywhere from $300 to $1,000 in fines. If you have multiple DUIs, fines are likely to be triple the amount. Add an additional $800 for court fees.
- Towing = $100 to $800: Depending on where you live, expect to pay up to $800 in towing fees.
- Lawyer Fees = $2,500+: Depending on the consequences of your recklessness (Did you cause bodily injury or property damage?), you may need a lawyer, which may cost you upwards of $2,500.
- Treatment Program = $700: If required to attend a treatment program, you will have to pay the cost out of pocket.
- Insurance Costs = $2,500+: With a DUI on your record, your insurer will consider you a high-risk client, which means your premium will skyrocket for years.
As you can see, the consequences of a DUI go beyond jail time and immediate fines. If you or a loved one was arrested for a DUI in Michigan, call us about our bail bond services and to learn more about your legal rights. You can also reach out to us online.